Do you have an overly ripe banana in your kitchen right now? I bet the answer is yes! Here is an amazing recipe in which you can use those older bananas. They are the best kind for making banana bread and similar recipes. This recipe is a banana cake, a twist on banana bread, with cream cheese icing. It is so moist and delicious, you will make it again and again. I got so many compliments on it when I baked it a few weeks ago! This recipe came from Craving Comfort’s blog.
- 1 1/2 cups bananas, mashed, ripe (I used one whole banana)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups butter milk
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
This frosting recipe made a lot of extra frosting for me, so I may pare it down a bit next time.
- Preheat oven to 275 F. (Seemed like a low temperature to me, but this totally works!)
- Grease and flour a pan for your cake. I chose a bundt cake and it turned out beautifully.
- In a small bowl, mix mashed banana with lemon juice.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream 3/4 cup butter and 2 1/8 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Then stir in 2 teaspoons vanilla.
- Next, add the flour mixture (from step 4) to the large bowl and beat ingredients, but be sure to alternate it with the buttermilk.
- Add banana mixture (from step 3) to the large bowl, stirring it (not beating).
- Pour batter into your prepared pan and bake at 275 F until a toothpick comes out clean. This could take around an hour; for the bundt cake I made I set it for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place directly into the freezer for 45 minutes. *Trust me, this really works! Makes the cake super moist.*
- While the cake is in the freezer – by the way, try to use a freezer with as little food in it as possible, as putting something warm into a freezer can affect the other foods in it – make the frosting. Cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Add powdered sugar and beat on low speed until combined, then on high until frosting is smooth.
- Spread on cooled cake and enjoy!