The “short” in shortcake really rings true in this recipe! Wow, I had no idea shortcake was so quick and easy to make! This is going to be my go-to recipe for summer parties from now on. Quick, easy, and only a few ingredients. Read on to make your own shortcake, and enjoy the photos at the bottom! Thanks to Amanda C. for the recipe, which originally came from Food Network.
- 1 1/2 lbs. strawberries, stemmed and quartered
- 3 tablespoons sugar (original recipe said 5 Tb. but then only used 3 for the first step; it seemed confusing to me so I went with 3)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Whipped cream *Food Network included a recipe for homemade, but I just used Ready whip this time.*
- Mix strawberries with 3 tablespoons sugar and refrigerate while juices develop, 30 min or more.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, 2 tablespoons sugar, and salt in a medium sized bowl. *I wish I had something to use to sift with!! Oh well.*
- Add heavy cream and mix until just combined. At this point, my mixture was really bumpy and barely stayed together. If yours is the same, it’s okay! Mine turned out fine after baking. Place mixture in ungreased (very important!) 8×8 non-stick pan and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Remove after baking and place shortcake on a cooling rack. It was extremely easy to cut into slices after it cools for a bit. Serve with strawberries and whipped cream.